Back to the blog

Make your fundraising more profitable!

Organising an event and trying to raise as much money as possible for a chosen charity, or good cause, can be hard going at the best of times, but by adding the opportunity to offer a glass of wine or beer to the proceedings could make your fundraising event more appealing and, more importantly, even more profitable.

In fact, a tent, or bar, selling alcohol is a common site at many fundraising activities such as food festivals, Young Farmers activities, town carnivals or prize giving events.

It is also acceptable these days to enjoy a glass of ‘fizz’ while you are having your hair and nails done in your local hairdressers!

The law covering the sale of alcohol at a fundraising event is the same as that for anyone working within the licenced trade or any retail outlet. The rules are outlined under the Licensing Act 2003.

There are two forms of alcohol licence:

  1. The premises licence – any venue where alcohol is being sold or supplied.
  2. The personal licence – any person involved in the selling of alcohol.

All alcohol sold under a premises licence must be made, or overseen, by a personal licence holder which includes charity event organisers and fundraisers! The reason is because the sale of alcohol exposes people to the same possible risks to health, crime, public order and child safety, wherever you are.

But don’t let that put you off!

There have been additions to the legislation that allow the selling of alcohol at a charity event to be made easier, including the Temporary Event Notice (TEN) – basically, a temporary equivalent of the premises licence aimed at individuals and businesses that want to sell alcohol on an occasional basis for seasonal and annual events such as selling glasses of summer punch at a school fete or mulled wine at a Christmas village fair. For more details visit

The intensive course run by Saracen Solutions is accredited by BIIAB and takes just six hours to complete, finishing with a 40 question multiple choice exam! On passing the exam, you will also get free provisional membership of the British Institute of Innkeeping (BII).

So, what are you waiting for?

Share this post


Simple Share Buttons